Its School time once again and my eldest son is now a sophomore and another son on his freshmen year and another son going to college next year. Yes all three of them will be in college soon and we will be empty nesters once again. But before i dwell on that, let me share with you the things needed for your freshmen to start a new life on his own.
Here, i will be dealing more with the things that they need to pack. Most Freshmen live in the dorms. And knowing that they do not really know what they will be bringing. Its best that we guide them.I am not spoon feeding them but guiding them on how to do things properly for them to succeed in life.
First things first. Let them pack their own bags. Give them a list of the essential things that they need to bring. never, never pack their things. Let them do it.
Allow me to list them for you.
- Passport and other travel documents should be in his backpack not in his luggage. Make sure he has a pen in his backpack.
- Appropriate clothes for the weather they will be in
- Shoes, socks and slippers
- A pack of first aid kits ( preferably label them so they know when to use them)
- Pain Relievers
- Cold & cough medications
- Anti-allergy meds
- Gauze and plaster ( Band-aid)
Things you need to buy before move in day:
- Bedsheets ( usually dorm beds are Twin extra long beds), pillow cases, blanket, comforter, pillows and mattress protector
- Hand, face and Bath towels
- Soap, shampoo, toothbrush and toothpaste, shower tote/caddy
- Laundry basket/bag ( buy the twin pack one where you can separate the whites from the colored), Laundry soap, Fabric Softener and Fabric Softener Sheets
- Plate, bowl, cup, spoon and fork
- Microwavable plates, paper plates, disposable spoons and forks and cups
- Flashlight with a set of batteries( place them in a zip lock bag so they can come in handy)
- Alarm Clock
- Study Lamp
- Iron and Ironing board
- School supplies
- Noodle cups, chips and other favorite food that can be stored for a long time.
- Some double sided tapes should they need to post some stuff.
And last but not the least your unending LOVE & SUPPORT!