Life is a Metaphor
Yesterday, we attended our Couples for Christ Chapter Assembly here in Jakarta Indonesia. The talk was given by our Chapter Head Bro. Jojo Apolo. As always, he gave a very inspiring talk that when we all went home we were so filled up and soaring high.
His talk was about the POWER OF METAPHORS. So what is a metaphor? According to Dictionary.com it is
a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.”.
Mother Teresa is quoted using a lot of Metaphors.
“Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is beauty, admire it.
Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is luck, make it.
Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
Life is life, fight for it.”
― Mother Teresa
According to Bro. Jojo we should have our personal metaphors. These metaphors should:
1. Influence our behavior
2. Invisible guide to our choices for learning new capabilities
3. Impact our core values and life purpose
And these metaphors that we choose should answer the following questions:
1. Does this symbol help me to face day to day challenges in my life
Does this symbol make me weak.?
2. Does it help me make me peaceful, become positive in life?
3. Does this symbol inspire me to build my skills to be competent and learn more things?
4. Is my metaphor aligned to my values and beliefs. What is important to me?
5. Is it aligned to my purpose?
6. Is it aligned to God’s calling?
So what’s your metaphor?
Common, you dont need to think big or research for it. What comes to mind at this time is your metaphor. Through time, it may evolve to become who you really are.